Campus Employment Policies and Procedures

On-Campus Employment Policies and Procedures


General On-Campus Employment

1.   All full-time students are eligible for on-campus employment. Graduated seniors are NOT eligible for on-campus employment. Students who are interested in on-campus employment can search for employment opportunities through and department supervisors. Students can log into Handshake using their NWC email address and password.  Once logged in, students should click on “Jobs” and then the “On Campus” tab to look for employment opportunities that are available on Northwestern’s campus. 

2.   A majority of jobs on campus are considered to be contracted jobs. Contracted jobs require students to sign a contract with their supervisor which indicates an agreement to that job and the work that is expected.  An “A” Contract Job is a position on campus where students work approximately 5 hours per week throughout the academic year.  With “A” Contract Jobs, students can rely on having consistent hours, and, therefore, consistent pay.  “B” Contract Jobs are positions that are more inconsistent in hours worked each week.  A student could work anywhere from 1-5 hours per week and sometimes have weeks where they do not work at all.

3.   Students are allowed to hold two contracted jobs on campus (that is, two “A” Contract jobs on campus). The maximum hours (for contracted jobs) worked by a student each week should not exceed 10 hours. 

4.   A student should not regularly be working over 5 hours per week at a job unless it is noted on the contract that their job will require more hours on a consistent basis. If a student has one job where he/she works 10 hours per week, that is acceptable but that job will count as two jobs. 

5.   In order to hold a second contracted job a student must be in good academic standing with the college. This policy is meant to ensure academics will not falter is a student is working more (or being allowed to work more).  Students must maintain at GPA of 2.0 or above in order to hold more than one contracted job.  Note: a student can hold one contracted job and his/her GPA will not be monitored.  This policy is only in place if a student holds more than one contracted job. 

6.   Contracts for student employment on campus are annual contracts. Contracts for students will be reviewed and evaluated annually. 

7.   Off-Campus tutors must qualify for federal work study.

8.   There are still jobs on campus that are considered non-contract. Non-contract jobs can be held by any student, even if they already have contracted jobs.  Please see the list below for jobs that are considered non-contract. 

Academic Support NC Maintenance - Bultman Center Music Set-Up / Recorders Ambassadors
NC Maintenance - Learning Commons Athletic Band NC Halftime Development (Advancement)
Some Grant Funded or Donor Funded Programs (i.e. Lily) Chapel Lighting Winter English Camp Beacon Writers

9.   Combining all contracted and non-contracted jobs, students should not be working more than 20 hours/week. Please keep this in mind when applying for and accepting jobs on campus.

10.   Students who receive the staff/faculty waiver are allowed to hold a maximum of two jobs as long as they live on campus.

11.   Students may not work in the same department as their parent, or be supervised by someone else in the department that is under the direct supervision of that parent.

12.   Student employees need to complete pre-employment forms prior to working on campus.  There are four pre-employment forms that need completed:  federal W-4, state W-4, I-9 and direct deposit authorization.  These forms only need to be filled out once.  (A student is allowed to fill out the forms again at any time if they need to make any changes to their forms).  See the chart below for more information regarding the pre-employment forms.

Form When to Fill Out Office Where to Find?
I-9 and W-4’s Before starting 1st campus job Human Resources Office

Students may look on MyNWC/Workstudy/Campus Employment Forms OR on My Checklist

Supervisors may look on J:Drive/Campus Employment/Pre-Employment Forms

Direct Deposit Authorization Forms Before starting 1st campus job Human Resources Office

Students may look on MyNWC/Workstudy/Campus Employment Forms OR on My Checklist

Supervisors may look on J:Drive/Campus Employment/Pre-Employment Forms

Job Contract Needs to be completed for each job a student holds every year Human Resources Office

J:Drive/Campus Employment/ 2020-2021 Student Employment Contracts

MyNorthwestern/Work Study/Campus Employment




Clock In/Out and Pay Procedures  

1.   Student employees are required to log their hours worked electronically through the Clock In/Out section in the workstudy tab on the MyNWC portal system. Students will select the correct department (if they are working more than one job) and then log their time in and out.  Student employees have 48 hours to log their shifts. 

2.   Student employee time sheets are due on the 1st working day of the month in the Human Resources Office. After the supervisor approves and signs, time sheets should be brought to the Human Resources Office. 

3.   No hand written corrections are allowed on time sheets. Any and all corrections need to be made electronically. 

4.   Student employees are paid on (approximately) the 10th of every month for hours worked the month prior. For example, student employees would be paid on October 10th for hours worked in September. 

5.   Student employee’s pay is direct deposited into their bank account (the bank account they provided with the direct deposit authorization form). Student employee’s pay is not directly applied to their tuition cost and/or their student bill.   

6.   Student employees do not receive physical pay stubs. To view a pay stub, student employees can log in to MyNWC/Workstudy/View My Paystub. 

On-Campus Employment Supervisor Responsibilities

1.   Determine the number of student employees your office / department will be hiring. 
         a.   This is determined based on the budget report you receive. 


2.   Advertise Positions on NWC's job search site (Handshake)
         a.   A Handshake Instruction Guide has been created to assist you in creating an employer account and post job openings.  You can find the guide on the J:Drive/Campus Employment/Handshake.  If you need assistance posting a job, please contact Mindy Stichka, Student Employment & Payroll Coordinator. 

         b.   Current job descriptions for your department can be found on the J:Drive/Campus Employment/WS Job Descriptions

         c.   If you want students to complete a resume, application or submit additional documents with their Handshake application, you can add this right in to the Handshake posting.

         d.   Post jobs between April 1 and May 1 for upperclassmen (only 2/3 of your job openings)

         e.   Post jobs June 1 until filled for incoming freshman (1/3 of your job openings)


3.   Hire your student workers (graduated seniors are not eligible)
         a.   Students should apply for your job via Handshake, in person or via email.  Going forward, we are encouraging students and supervisors to use Handshake exclusively.  

         b.   Review and sign a contract with student employees for all contracted jobs.  Contracts can be found on J:Drive/Campus Employment/2020-2021 Student Employment Contracts or on MyNWC/Workstudy/Campus Employment.

         c.   Send contracts of your hired student employees to the Human Resources Office (lower level in Zwemer Hall). 


4.   Before a student can work for you, please ensure the following is complete:
         a.   Check to make sure all their pre-employment forms are filled out.  Forms needed before a student employee can start work and before they can be paid are:  I-9 Form, W-4 Federal Form, W-4 State Form, and Direct Deposit Authorization Form. 

                  i.   To see if a student has his/her forms complete, look on the excel spreadsheet entitled "Campus Employment_xx_xx_xxxx" on J:Drive/Campus Employment.

                  ii.   If students have not yet completed their forms, direct them to MyChecklist or MyNWC/Workstudy/Campus Employment Forms or you can print forms for them from J:Drive/Campus Employment/Pre-Employment Forms.  Forms can also be picked up in the Human Resources Office.

         b.   Ensure you have a signed contract with the student.

                  i.   Student employment contracts are annual contracts. Contracts with students need to be reviewed and evaluated annually.  If a student is returning to the same job next year, he/she needs to complete a new contract for that job.



2020-2021 Student Employee Contracts
Summer Contracts 2020
Title Description File type


Prior to processing any student payroll, all pre-employment forms need to be completed.  Required forms are the direct deposit authorization agreement, federal and state W-4's and the I-9.  Along with completed I-9 form, two valid forms of ID will need to be shown (examples of what can be shown are given on page 3 of the I-9).  

Direct Deposit Authorization Agreement - Student

Federal W-4, 2020

Iowa W-4, 2020



Once students obtain employment on campus, it is required of students to electronically log their hours worked.  This is done through the WorkStudy tab found on the MyNWC portal system.  After supervisor approval, time sheets should be dropped off at the Human Resources Office (lower level, Zwemer Hall).