Campus Employment/Work Study

 How To Search For Jobs

To start the campus employment process you must search for available jobs.

Incoming Freshman and new transfers may start applying for campus employment starting May 1st.  January transfers may search as soon as you enroll.

 1. Go to

 2. Click on Northwestern College – Iowa Sign On

 3. Enter your MyNWC Username (without the on it) and Password

 4. Click on Get Started and Answer Profile Questions (or click on Next)

 5. Click on the top header "Jobs" and then select "On-campus".

 6. Click on the Job Title to find job description and contact information.

 How to Apply

7. To start the application process, email each contact listed for every campus position for which you would like to be considered.  Keep in mind you may only work 1 campus job unless the second is for food service.

 8. Campus employers will then email you an application to apply for their particular positions.  Fill each out accordingly and email them back to the supervisors.  The supervisors will then let students know who they will hire.  Some supervisors will send only a contract for you to sign.  When you sign a contract, you are committing to that particular campus employment position.

 9. You must fill out an I-9, and W-4, before you are allowed to work on campus.  They are found on your financial aid checklist and may be turned into the financial aid, business office, or career development center.


Questions? Email: Call:  712-707-7225



Campus Employment Policies and Procedures

Campus Employment Policies and Procedures

Updated 10/10/2018


General Employment

1.      All half time to full time students are eligible for employment. Graduated seniors are NOT eligible.


2.      Students may hold only one contracted campus job at a time with the following exceptions:  Food Service (cafeteria and Hub), Maintenance and RSC Holiday/Break Crew.  If this option is pursued, the student may hold no more than two contracted positions.  (e.g. can’t work the Hub, café, and another contracted position.)


3.      Students who desire a job should search for employment opportunities through,   “The Informer”, Career Development Center, and department supervisors.


4.      Students involved in the following are eligible for an additional campus job: (These are non-contract jobs paid out of department budgets).


Tutor (On-campus)

Cottage Managers


Snow Shoveling

Junior Scholar

Admissions Calling


Chapel lighting

Early arrival team

RSC Holiday/Break Crew


Music set up / recorders

Art assistants

Student Government

Orientation co-leaders

Event Staff (parking, set up, etc.)

 Intramural coordinators

 Peer mentors for NEXT Program

Lilly or outside grant funded positions

 Concession manager

Writing/Speech Fellows

Maintenance student workers



5.         Students receiving activity grants for art, music, theatre, athletics are eligible for a campus job.


6.         Off-Campus tutors must qualify for federal work study


Students receiving the Faculty/Staff waiver:

1.      Students who receive the waiver are eligible to secure either a non-contract or contract position as long as they live on campus. They may only do one or the other.  See #4 above for a list of non-contract positions.

2.      Student may not be a direct report to their parent (They may work in the same department but may not be under the direct supervision of their parent.)



1.         Department heads are responsible for their annual employment budget. All budgets include campus employment during both the school year and summer. (Non-contract workers as specified in policy #6 are not included in the employment budget)

 2.   When hiring each spring departments should reserve 1/3 of their open positions for incoming freshman. Supervisors are responsible for contacting these freshmen with work information via e-mail or campus mail before they arrive on campus.

3.   Supervisors must notify the Career Development Center of each employee hired and also fill out appropriate forms.  Also notify the Career Development Center when people quit or are terminated and who will be replacing them.

 4.   Supervisors should advertise jobs through or through the informer or posters.  Please refrain from using email to advertise.  Students become irritated with junk mail and have complained.

 To ensure this process runs smoothly, the following items must be completed before a student may work.



When to fill out


Where to find?

I-9 and W-4’s

Before starting 1st campus job

Financial Aid Office

Students may look on My Northwestern or supervisors look on J:/Drive/Campus Employment/Pre-Employment Forms

Direct Deposit Authorization

Before starting 1st campus job

Business Office

Students may look on My Northwestern or supervisors may look on J:/Drive/Campus Employment/Pre-Employment Forms


Needs to be completed for each job a student holds.

Career Development Center

J:/Drive/Campus Employment/Pre-Employment Forms



Time Clock Procedures (Effective 8-15-2013)


          The pay period during the academic year for all student workers is the calendar month. Time cards should be turned into the business office on the first work day following the end of the month. The payroll check date will be approximately the 10th of the month.


         The Business Office requires students to electronically log their hours worked.  This is done through the WorkStudy tab found on the MyNWC portal system. After the month end the time sheet should be printed and submitted to the supervisor for signature.  After supervisor approval, it should be sent to the Business Office.


Campus Employment Supervisor Responsibilities


1)     Determine # of Student Workers your office/department will be hiring  based on your budget 


2)     Advertise Positions on  NWC's job search site
    a.      Current Job Descriptions for your department can be found on the J Drive/Campus Employment/WS Job Descriptions

                              b.     Include preferred contact information –preferably an email address

c.      Post April 1-May 1 for Upperclassmen (2/3 of openings)

d.      Post May 1 until filled for Incoming Freshman (1/3 of openings)


3)     Hire your Workers (graduated seniors are NOT eligible)

a.      Students should apply for your job (either in person or via email)    

b.      Application example can be found on J Drive/Campus Employment

c.      Send names of your hired workers to the Career Development Center


4)     Before your Students Work for you:

a.      Check to make sure all their Pre-Employment Forms are filled out   

                                                              i.      Will be a database on J Drive/Campus Employment Folder with a list of students and forms they’ve completed

                                                           ii.      If they need to complete a form, print out from J Drive/Campus Employment/Pre-Employment Forms

Summer 2019 Contracts
Title Description File type
2019-2020 academic year contract
2018-2019 Contracts

The Business Office requires all student workers to record their time on an electronic time sheet. 

Students should access the time sheet on the I:\drive in a folder called “student time sheets” and save individual time sheets on their own G:\drive to maintain secure access.  The time sheet on the I:\drive is a template and should not be used until saved on the G:\drive.    Worked time can be entered down to the minute, by entering the in and out times followed by a space before the AM or PM.  (For example 11:30 AM) 

On the first day after month-end, the timesheet should be printed and submitted to the supervisor for signature.  Please send the signed timesheets in campus mail to Nancy Hughes or drop off at the Business Office, which is located on the first floor of Zwemer Hall.  Student paychecks will be issued on the 10th of the month following month-end.    

Download and complete the following and turn it into the CDC